Thursday 25 January 2018

I like Thankful Thursday

I like that I can just go back to bed when the fibro weariness takes over. and even better that I actually feel up to doing stuff since I got up again!

I like TVCT.
I run a large textile art group. We meet 4 times a year. So, on Saturday the Thames Valley Contemporary Textile group met up. So lovely to chat with different ones and catch up.
Also, a good talk from Hazel and Terry from InStitches. I had asked them to talk about the professional journey they have taken to develop the business and get a studio space for delivering the In Stitches Creative Textile Courses.
I like that they actually hit the brief! I have all ranges of ladies at different levels of the artistic journey. I want to challenge the ladies who are more experienced. But up to now, most of the speakers I ask to talk about the business side end up talking more about their work because they think the members would be bored. Ok, generally their artistic journey is interesting and inspiring. But not what I asked for!
And it wasn't boring! wow, gives you a different perspective to what is behind their wonderful teaching studio. Some, like me, decide to be content not to go that route at all. But I have already had one lady say that she eventually wants to do a business, so found the talk very helpful. But also then asked me for advice on how to get going on the learning and experience of the type of textile work she wants to do. I like being an encourager! She has a young son and limited income now, but I was able to tell her how I 'gathered' info and experience when I was in a similar situation...like you would gather materials for something you wanted to make.
So, also I liked watching people as they got excited about the workshop. With a group this size, it is usually only a taster sort of workshop, but I had asked for something about design. This being one of the things most people feel they don't know enough about. So, the members loved it!
Doing a bit of mark making
  

a bit of colour added
and then folded into a booklet.
The booklet was a brilliant idea because having a page of marks and colour is one thing, but where to go from there. So, to have it cut and folded down into a book means the marks made look totally different and more inspiring.
Cool!

To see more of what others like check out LeeAnna's blog.

6 comments:

irene macwilliam said...

sounds as if it was a great day

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a great work shop. So much inspiration and good for you organizing such!

Michele McLaughlin said...

What a fun workshop! It looks great and I bet everyone had a wonderful time! Kudos!

LA Paylor said...

I would welcome a design business workshop. Good job girl! The markmaking time would be lots of fun too. I hope to rejoin creative people soon. LeeAnna
ps I read this yesterday but had computer problems and couldn't leave comments

Sandy said...

Thanks everyone for the comments. I love that group. I have been running it for 9 years now. So fun to see how people grow.

PaintedThread said...

The booklets look pretty cool! What fun.