Monday 6 November 2017

Sewing Large

So, to replicate the needle -


traced onto adhesive web. I used the Bondaweb (I think it is called Wonder Under in America.) because it has a transfer paper. I know you are meant to be able to do this with Misty Fuse, but when I fuse it to baking parchment, it changes the thickness of the web when the little web strands melt together.

So, I trace the needle and its lines - the places where highlights or shadows are defined - onto the fusible web with transfer paper still attached. Then I fuse it onto a mottled fabric...I have a hand dyed piece that is grey and brown shades and tones. It is fused into an area that has a general colour look as  what I am going for.

Then I cut out around the outer line. Because the back side is where the fusible is, I use something somewhat sharp, (like my quick-unpick/seam ripper) and run it over the traced lines. It gives a slightly raised effect on the right side of the fabric. Using that as a guide, I use pigment ink felt tip for the shadows and white gel pen for the highlights. I just keep using the guide and trying to copy the image. The lower part of the needle on the right.
Oh and later, I did realise I was meant to mirror the image. It didn't line up properly with the top part. Oh. Being small and not too different from side to side, I was able to colour in some white and lighten some black.

When that was done, I placed the enlarged image on the quilt where I wanted the needle to go. I didn't want the space between to mess with the way the needle would look altogether.
I still wanted it to look like it was pushed into and out of the fabric.

Next, I fused it in place and spent more time drawing into the appliqué to make it realistic.
I used a pencil to draw the shadows onto the fabric of the quilt. Initially I had included the shadow on fabric part of my image in the appliqué, but I remembered that the realistic look of the first one I did had the shadow drawn onto the work. It made it, then, the colour of a shadow on the white as if it were a large needle pushed through the fabric. Not the colour of the shadow on the image, which was not very true after all the enlarging of the photo.

I didn't want to trust the fusing alone to keep the needle on there through packing and unpacking of exhibition touring. But I didn't want to alter the look by any machine stitching. So, I used black quilting thread and did a hand-pick stitch. (which is a bit like a tiny back stitch.) and the small stitches don't show unless your nose it right on top!

Next, A bit of adjusting of the hand stitching and pressing before trimming and binding.