Monday 1 September 2014

June Journal quilt

Continuing Series of Journal quilts for when my son goes out on his own.
We had Rugby the other day.
You can't do sports without British Tennis. And June was the month when Wimbledon started.
My Friend Judy Fairless did a wonderful piece for the Rule Britannia quilt, which was also made up into a card like some of mine were. I didn't want to copy that, so had to think what to do.

I decided to go with a similar idea to 'Rugby Run', with the diagram of the court in the background and silhouettes of players. But also wanted to bring a sense of unity with the 'Cricket Wicket' piece with the focus of the ball.

I tried a few layouts, including the left-hand player in front of the ball.

But in the end, settled for him behind.
This is the finished piece.

White lines were drawn with Sakura Gelly Roll pen. The tennis ball was given more dimension by working into it with Triplus Fineliner felt tips and coloured pencil.

No comments: