Wednesday 19 June 2013

Chemo Scarves - version 2

The feedback I got on the scarves I made was that although they fit me, they needed to be a bit larger for my family member. Trouble is, I had already cut out about 7 at previous size.

Due to struggling a bit with my own health, I was having a hard time getting my head round how to make them larger without much fuss.

Then I saw this video the other day on another textile artist's blog. She was making some blankets for a grandchild. When I watched it, I thought I could use the same process to add a border to the scarves I cut.



I had some thin voile type fabric given to me by a friend recently. I thought it would be just the thing to add a border, but not add a lot more thickness.
The only thing I did different to the video was to press the seam allowances over to the solid fabric so they wouldn't show through the thin fabric on the border. I just took the seam, smoothed the fabrics away from it and then folded it over and pressed. The fabrics at the corners didn't get in the way then.

I turned it through, pressed and topstitched on the edge of the middle fabric to hold the layers together. Just like the video. Then I folded corner to corner, pressed the fold and put the wadding in the centre. (See how I did it here).

Then I stitched it through all layers, like I did before.

The wadding is enclosed,, but the rest of the layers are loose. I am hoping this might also help with the issue she was having about adjusting the scarf so her head didn't show through the gaps at the back.

The original scarf was cut at 20in square. The piece I added was 25in square, but this is then folded in half in the process of making the border. I hadn't thought of that when I chose the measurement. I have sent 3 off like that which are made of lightweight cotton. But for the heavier weight cotton I am going to try 30in square for the border bit because it won't drape as well, and may still be hard to arrange at the finished size of 22 in. square. ( The 1/2 in from the measurement goes into seams.)

I still have some fabrics uncut, so when I find out how these work, I will just cut them at the full size and make them the previous way.

1 comment:

irene macwilliam said...

Thank you Sandy for using the video to introduce readers to a nifty technique. Now to try it out.