Sunday, 19 February 2017

The beads are still going on...12-18 Feb

Week 6 - 2017








Saturday, 18 February 2017

Something on Saturday

Cow 6

My dad is very good at whittling. I have some of the chains he has made from one piece of wood, and balls within a rectangle cage.
I have had this cow that he made since I went to college.
Very lovely and quite correct in stance. I like the grain lines in the wood.
She looks very like the cow we had called Lady, who was a Jersey cow. Fairly low slung.
The first one I learned to milk and spent much time parked under! By hand of course!

Wednesday, 15 February 2017

Something different

I have been having issues with the computer just stopping where it is and then the Thoughtful Man spends a few hours with a new attempt to coax it to carry on. So, a quick post while it is working.

I made this for the Thoughtful Man for Valentine's Day. (He is my Knight). He plays piano and a few other instruments.
So, "Music for a Knight".
And an interesting view with the light coming across showing the dimensions of the quilting.

As you can see, I thought I would try the technique I use for the Ramshackle Houses to see how they would work for a different outline. Still trying to give a sketch look, I often draw this knight shape, without the music, in cards for him. So, in this fabric is blends in some, but I think it works.

Sunday, 12 February 2017

The beads are still going on...5-11 Feb

Week 5 - 2017








Saturday, 11 February 2017

Something on Saturday

Cow 5
A small vase given to me by my Mother-in-Law. Probably the last gift she gave me.
Very fun!

Friday, 10 February 2017

Ramshackle Variations

I have started making small Ramshackle pieces which might perhaps sell during my exhibition. I will make a few different sizes -  like 6 in sq., 8 in sq., and 10 in. sq. I will help use up some smaller bits of fabric.

These have been fused and are ready for the stitching. The fabric was left from cutting a 12 in. sq. from a fat quarter. It doesn't leave much which is useful for anything else.

Even if they don't sell, they will make good samples for my workshop to show the way you can use the 'accessories' (trees, windows, shrubs, etc.) to make a difference.
And then, they can be Christmas presents! 😃

Thursday, 9 February 2017

Ramshackle Dwelling and Habitation

This week I also started and finished a piece for the SAQA Spotlight auction they will hold at the upcoming conference.

This is Ramshackle Dwelling.
6in x8in
Another in my Ramshackle Series of houses and their accessories.
Trees, bushes, and chimney smoke.
This one in a subtle colour and with 'shades' at the windows
to reflect the contentment of a dwelling place.

They put these donations into a mat with an aperture which is 4 1/2in x 6 1/2in.

Last year, I sent Ramshackle Place off for the SAQA benefit auction. I wrote about it here.
I mentioned that I had to make a second one because I had issues getting the green chalk out of the first one.
So, fast-forward to 2017. Vanessa at Lady Sew and Sew wants some samples to display for the workshops I will be doing. When I had finished the one above, I remembered the failed one, which basically just needed a binding apart from solving the green chalk issue. I didn't want to make it Ramshackle Place 2 because it wasn't so great that it wanted a repeat!

As I thought about it, I decided to colour in the house purposely with green chalk and then rub it back. and since it looked good, I also did the trees/shrub.

12in x 12in

And so, Ramshackle Habitation is also finished! And it is enough different to Ramshackle Place that there is no worry about confusion.
It is also an example of how some of the pieces have a bit of colour added. Sufficient at least for a sample.

If you are interested in the workshop, you can find out info here.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017

70,273 project x's 96-101

More red x's for the 70,273 project.







Still working on the red x's as and when. The blocks got a bit mixed up after I showed them at the TVCT group, so I grouped them by tens, putting like with like.

I wanted to send 96 to Jeanne in memory of my Mother-in-Law who died recently, aged 96. So, I selected 9 lots of 10, and then made up the above blocks in small sequins to equal the 96. And then, just because, I will put 4 of the others in the parcel anyway! ...because 100...

And now I am working on the next set which will be 50 in memory of my brother who died in 2015. You don't have to do it this way, but I like goals.

Tuesday, 7 February 2017

70,273 project x's 84-95

More red x's for the 70,273 project.











Monday, 6 February 2017

The other project - 2

I told about the thoughts behind this other daily bead project I am doing on another post.

And progress report Week 5.

I am intentionally having these marks made randomly.

7 lines in the usual bundle of 5 + 2. 7 abducted women or children in Northern Nigeria. This is the 7th year with approximate 1 per day/ 31 per month. This means that by the end of the year, they will be commemorated by a little line of beads. But imagine, if you will if you extended this to other African nations where this happens - especially the neighbouring countries who are also affected by Boko Haram.

Sunday, 5 February 2017

The beads are still going on...29-31Jan to 1-4 Feb

Week 5 - 2017




January's beaded fabric squares - these have been about seeing the colours on a grey fabric. Alternate months will be grey.

For in-between months I am using a beige paisley as a different neutral.
I showed a few samples the other day.

Here is a photo to show the scale. Very small.

This is what happens early on in changing tack in a long-term project.

Oops, missed out the cream beads! But I am glad I did it because it reassures me that the design is better with them.